Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey ProteinTHE GOLD STANDARDMSRP:Was:Now: $24.95 - $89.99
MUSCLESPORT Lean WheyUNIQUE & DELICIOUS FLAVORSMSRP:Was:Now: $49.99
ALLMAX Nutrition IsoFlexA1's Best Price!MSRP:Was:Now: $24.99 - $99.99
Dymatize ISO-100A1's Best Price!MSRP:Was:Now: $109.95
Alpha Lion Superhuman Protein15% OFF W/ CODE SUNNY15MSRP:Was:Now: $54.99
Insane Labz Insane ISOBUILD LEAN MUSCLE MASSMSRP:Was:Now: $69.95
Colossal Labs Muscle ProteinA1's Best Price!MSRP:Was:Now: $54.99
APS Nutrition Isomorph 28A1's Best Price!MSRP:Was:Now: $39.95
Now Whey Protein IsolateT-SHIRT FREE!MSRP:Was:Now: $79.95
Raw Nutrition ProteinHIGHEST QUALITY PROTEIN WITH ZERO FILLERSMSRP:Was:Now: $49.99
ALLMAX Nutrition Isoflex ChillerWHEY PROTEIN ISOLATEMSRP:Was:Now: $24.99
Nutrex Research IsofitA1's Best Price!MSRP:Was:Now: $44.99
Goliath Labs 100% Whey ProteinA1's Best Price!MSRP:Was:Now: $49.99
Raw Nutrition CBUM Itholate ProteinMUSCLE BUILDER PROTEIN POWDERMSRP:Was:Now: $54.99
Whey protein isolate is the highest yield of protein currently available... Learn more.
1. What Is Whey Protein Isolate, Where Does It Come From, And What Benefits Does It Provide?
Whey protein isolate is the highest yield of protein currently available, and it comes from milk. Because of it's properties, whey protein is the easiest to absorb into your muscles. With it's high concentration of pure whey and BCAAs, whey protein isolate is widely regarded as the best to use.
However, because of the high concentration, whey protein isolate is always going to be a little more expensive. But then again, you get what you pay for! Some benefits of whey protein isolate over other protein types is:
- Highest Value In Providing Branched-Chain Amino Acids
- Micro-Filtered And Ion-Exchanged
- Most Pure And Concentrated Form Of Whey Protein Available
- Contains 90% Or More Protein And Very Little (If Any) Fat And Lactose
Also, some of the standard benefits that whey protein isolate provides are:
- Repair Body Cells
- Build And Repair Muscles And Bones
- Provide A Source Of Energy
- Control Many Of The Important Processes In The Body Related To Metabolism
2. What Components Are Found In Whey Protein Isolate And What Benefits Do They Provide?
- The Most Abundant Whey Protein Component, Making Up Approximately 50-55% Of The Whey Protein.
- Binds Fat Soluble Vitamins Making Them More Available To The Body.
- Provides An Excellent Source Of Essential And Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs). These Help Prevent Muscle Breakdown And Spare Glycogen During Exercise. BCAAs May Be Required In Some Individuals With Liver Conditions, Such As Cirrhosis.
- Hydrolyzed Versions Are Often Used In Infant Formulas To Reduce Potential Allergic Reactions.
- The Second Most Abundant Whey Protein Component, Making Up Approximately 20-25% Of The Whey Protein.
- The Primary Protein Found In Human Breast Milk.
- High In Tryptophan, An Essential Amino Acid; Potential Benefits Include Sleep Regulation And Mood Improvement Under Stress.
- Excellent Source Of Essential Amino Acids And BCAAs.
- The Only Whey Protein Component Capable Of Binding Calcium.
- Makes Up Approximately 10-15% Of The Whey Protein.
- Provides Immunity Enhancing Benefits To Infants And Others.
- Predominant Whey Protein Component Found In Colostrum.
Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA):
- Makes Up Approximately 5-10% Of The Whey Protein.
- Large Sized Protein With A Good Essential Amino Acid Profile And Fat Binding Properties.
- Helps Control And Inhibit The Formation Of Dental Plaque And Dental Cavities.
- Gmp Does Not Contain The Amino Acid Phenylalanine. Phenylalanine Is The Amino Acid Having A Serious Negative Effect On Individuals With Pku Disorder.
- Makes Up Approximately 1-2% Of The Whey Protein.
- Inhibits The Growth Of Bacteria (Including Some Pathogenic Bacteria) And Fungi Due To Its Ability To Bind Iron. Iron Is An Essential Nutrient Often Required For Bacterial Growth. The Usda Recently Approved The Use Of Lactoferrin On Meat To Prevent The Growth Of Pathogens Such As E. Coli And Salmonella.
- Promotes The Growth Of Beneficial Bacteria Such As Bifidus.
- Helps Infants Establish Good Microbial Conditions In The Intestines.
- Regulates Iron Absorption And Bio-Availability.
- May Help To Reduce Inflammation.
- An Anti-Oxidant That Naturally Occurs In Many Body Secretions Such As Tears, Blood, Breast Milk, Saliva And Mucus.
- Makes Up Approximately 0.5% Of The Whey Protein.
- Inhibits The Growth Of Iron Dependent Bacteria.
- Makes Up Less Than 0.1% Of The Whey Protein.
- Contains Immunity Enhancing Properties.
3. What Does Whey Protein Isolate Do And What Scientific Studies Give Evidence To Support This?
Whey protein isolate is an incredible source of high-quality protein. It provides the body with necessary building blocks that are used for building muscle tissue.
Studies have been done over the years that compare whey protein isolate to other sources. What has been discovered is that whey protein isolate contains a very balanced combination of overall amino acid makeup which equals perfect concentrations for optimal performance in the body.
What the studies have also found is that both cellular and hormonal responses were very much enhanced with supplementation of whey protein isolate. Whey protein isolate also has very good benefits for the body's immune system and plays an important role as an antioxidant and an immune system builder.
Last, but not least, whey protein isolate, along with exercise and weight lifting will result in consistently reaching your muscle building and fitness goals!
4. Who Needs Whey Protein Isolate And How Much Should Be Taken? Are There Any Side Effects Or Symptoms Of Deficiency?
Whey protein is very important for bodybuilders, dieters, and athletes. When athletes and bodybuilders work out, their protein levels become depleted. However, by being a direct precursosr to essential amino acids, such as glutamine, the content from high quality whey protein will help your muscles recover and grow faster by bringing up the levels of protein.
With dieters and people who wish to lose extra fat, whey protein is very useful because a good intake of protein can balance blood sugar levels, while carbohydrates cause blood sugar levels to fluctuate. When the blood sugar levels stay balanced, the human body is not as prone to rampant eating and has more energy and greater fat loss.
Whey protein allows a person to control his or her diet effectively. Most people who want to change their body for the better could benefit from whey protein supplementation; however, since protein is naturally found in many food items deficiency is usually not a problem.
The RDA is 0.8 grams per kg (.36 grams per lb). Depending on your goal and which diet plan you follow, this number may seem a bit low. In fact, many experts have recommended consuming as much as 1 to 2 grams per pound of body weight per day.
There are no documented side effects provided a person does not have an allergy to dairy proteins or does not need to restrict dairy products for medical reasons. If you are allergic to dairy proteins please consult with a physician prior to consuming any type of whey protein.
However, it is good to keep in mind that if you exceed the RDA, then you can run the risk of potential side effects. The reason that too much protein can be harmful is because the body is unable to store it. What then happens is excess protein is broken down and converted into sugars or extra fat.
Also, the liver removes nitrogen from the amino acids, so that they can be burned as fuel, and the nitrogen is incorporated into urea, the substance that is excreted by the kidneys. These organs can normally cope with any extra workload but if kidney disease occurs, a decrease in protein will often be prescribed.
Excessive protein intake may also cause the body to lose calcium, which could lead to bone loss in the long-term. However, many protein powders, for instance, come supplemented with various amounts of calcium per serving size so as to counteract the calcium-loss effect.
Published with permission, original © 2007.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.