Learn More About Joint Health/Arthritis Support
1. What supplements provide joint support and where do they come from?
Joint Support is a premier formulation for supporting cartilage and joint function. It's the perfect solution for maintaining healthy joints and dealing with minor aches and pains experienced after exercise.
With its many ingredients, joint jupport is useful in providing some of the raw materials that are essential for the body's natural synthesis and maintenance of joints, ligaments, muscles and tendon. It aids in protection against the effects of excessive exercise, and aids in the healing of musculoskeletal injuries and degeneration.
Joint support can come from a variety of different sources. Some of the most common sources are:
- Glucosamine Sulfate, a natural compound produced by the body, that contributes to the natural cushioning effect of cartilage.
- MSM (Methylsufonylmethane) a naturally occurring organic sulfur compound, found in all living plant and animal tissues. Known for enhancing flexibility.
- Turmeric and Boswellia, frequently used to aid the body in the healing process.
- Chondroitin sulfate, a sulfated glycosaminoglycan (GAG) composed of a chain of alternating sugars
- Hyaluronic Acid, a non-sulfated glycosaminoglycan distributed widely throughout connective, epithelial, and neural tissues.
- Arginine, which aids in the release of growth hormone, a powerful hormone that aids in collagen tissue repair.
- Taurine, a sulfur containing amino acid and the second most abundant amino acid, and the most abundant free amino acid, found in skeletal muscle tissue.
- Also contains Bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple.
2. What do joint support supplements do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?
- Protects joints and other tissues from the effects of excessive exercise
- Provides some the ingredients the body needs for the maintenance of healthy joints, ligaments, tendons and muscle.
- Can help reduce the pain and swelling associated with arthritis or wear-and-tear joint problems.
- Helps promote healthy joints and slow the effects of joint aging.
- Useful for athletes and helps improve post-workout muscle soreness and injury.
Recent evidence published in top arthritis and medical journals such as the Journal of Rheumatology January and JAMA, suggests that chondroitin does indeed appear to be as effective as glucosamine in alleviating joint pain and stiffness. It is important to note, however, that the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin has yet to be shown to be any more effective than either ingredient on its own.
A number of studies have also clearly shown that both glucosamine and chondroitin reduce the pain and stiffness of arthritis and may even play a role in slowing the progression of the damage. In most cases, these supplements are significantly more effective than placebo and just as effective as common pain relieving medications (with fewer side effects) though they often take longer to start working, they may continue to work for a longer period of time.
Most studies suggest that 4-8 weeks of supplementation are needed at doses of 1500mg/day of glucosamine and/or 1200mg of chondroitin (the combination formula has not been shown to be any more effective than either supplement on its own).
3. Who needs joint support supplements and how much should be taken? Are there any side effects or symptoms of deficiency?
According to the Arthritis Foundation, people of all ages are affected by arthritis - with about 120 related disorders - and it is the No. 1 cause of limitation of movement in the United States. Anybody who engages in strenous athletic activity should high consider taking a joint support dietary supplement.
Not only will it help in the aid of quicker recovery, but you will drastically reduce your chance of joint cartilage and tissue breakdown. It should be wise to note also that joint support can greatly help the support of knees and hips, which is vital as you get older and those body parts start to wear down.
We here at A1Supplements.Com recommend that you always take the suggested dosage and recommendations by the manufacturer of whatever product it is you are taking. If you have any further questions regarding your own personal health or additional concerns, we always suggest speaking to your doctor or physician. To date, there have been no studies done that show any negative side effects from taking joint support! Some of the best joint support products are:
- Now Glucosamine & Chondroitin
- Doctor's Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM
- Beverly International Joint Care
- Applied Nutriceuticals Osteobolin-C
- Nature's Plus Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM
Published with permission, original © 2007.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.